We can have one meter hight of "Check-dam" in purushothama patnam.
- The check dams retain excess water flow during monsoon rains in a small catchment area behind the structure.
- Pressure created in the catchment area helps force the impounded water into the ground.
- The major environmental benefit is the replenishment of nearby groundwater reserves and wells.
- The water entrapped by the dam, surface and subsurface, is primarily intended for use in irrigation during the monsoon and later during the dry season, but can also be used for livestock and domestic needs.
- Help to increase soil moisture and vegetation; reducing erosion; and possibly reducing damage from flash floods.
- The first is to provide direct irrigation when rains fail and the second is to facilitate the recharging of surrounding wells through percolation of water from check dams.
- Additionally they also provide water for other purposes such as bathing, washing clothes, and drinking water for animals.